Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day!

Today has been a day to be thankful. I was doing some thinking today about the "dads" in my life. I am grateful for the wonderful examples they are to my children and to me...they are different in so many ways but they each have so much to share and teach.

I was blessed in my life to have been raised by a wonderful, jovial man with a wonderful listening ear. My dad taught me to enjoy life, to see the good in people, to work hard for what I wanted to accomplish. He still amazes me how he laughs off a hard day. He would do anything for anyone. He never meets a stranger. He loves his family. My sweet daddy is up for an adventure or job most of the time. My dad is the most loyal, consistent man I know. He and I have always had a bond,...I honestly cannot remember an argument between us...we just have always been able to talk about anything. I adore his spirit, how he makes me laugh, how he always makes me feel better no matter what. Now, I enjoy how he is with my babies...teasing them, hugging on them...I cherish every visit with him...
Almost 10 years ago, I inherited another wonderful dad. I have so much to thank my father-in-law for...how he taught my husband to be a strong man of God, how to think independently, how to work hard. He taught my husband how to show love. I have seen males who are too macho to hug, to talk about how they feel....well, not the Allen men. E has told me so many times how his dad always hugged him, always talked with him. And, now, E is determined to teach C the same things...that it is important for a man to show affection, to share their hearts with those they love...and for that, I am deeply grateful to my father-in-law. Now that C and S have arrived, watching Papaw play with them and enjoy them touches my heart.
And, I am honored to spend my life with the most amazing man ever! He and I share a friendship that is based on similar beliefs about life, faith, and priorities. My dear man loves the Lord. He wants each day to be purposeful. He truly wants to be the man God created him to be. My husband adores our children. Just typing that makes me smile. I love watching him with them...the way he talks with them, bathes them, prays with them, tucks them in at night, is interested in their interests, and the way he teaches them about what is important in life. From the minute he walks in our door at night, our rugrats can't get enough of him. I cherish my husband. I cherish the wonderful example of manhood that he is for our son and the powerful example of what a husband should be like that he is for our daughter. I am so utterly thankful that God saw fit to give E to me, that He blessed us with our family.
Happy Father's Day, Pop! Papaw! and E!

No comments: