Tuesday, April 21, 2009

forgetfulness and a funny night

Ok...I feel like life is full of funny stories lately...and, I am forgetting them within an hour only to lie in bed later thinking about what exactly he said or she did ("what were her words exactly???"). I plead pregnancy brain....I cannot remember anything these days!

So, trying to capture tonight's comic relief, I wrote a note to myself at their bedtime to type this out when I had a minute. Now, 3 hours later...and two loads of laundry, dishes, dusting...I am ready to share my funny moment....now what was it again? where is that reminder? Oh, yeah....

While I was drying S off from her bath tonight, she got this really serious look on her face. S-"What's dat, mommy, on your roof?" Me-"My roof? What is where?" S-"Rite dere (nodding to my head)- dat on your roof?" Me-"Honey, what is it?" (dirt? paint? peanut butter? shampoo? toothpaste?) Of course, her hands were inside her papoose towel wrap I had done on her. So, she wiggled loose and pointed to my forehead. S-"Rite dere, mom. On your roof. Oooooh, it's wet." Me-"Oh, baby, you splashed my face is all. You got water on my forehead." I do kinda like the roof name....only two year olds can come up with such things....and, really, water (whoo), it could have been just about anything...

So, then off to get on her pjs. She asked to wear her "hot" pjs. I had no idea what she was talking about. I thought she meant her fleece, footed pair. She is a very warm natured child, so I said no. She was not talking about that pair. So perplexed...I held up one after another. (There are some battles that you just don't fight...the pjs a sleepy preschooler wants to wear on a night when daddy is absent from bedtime rituals, the two year old in question has not had a nap all day, and bedtime the night before was at 9:15...not a battle to try...So, I finally found THE "hot" pair. When I was slipping the shirt on, I asked her why she called them her "hot" pair. She pointed to the pink shirt that has "twinkle" appliqued on it. She said, "Cause it says "hot" on it, Mommy." After telling her that it said "twinkle", she said "ok then"...I wear my "tinkle one." Now, I have two questions for you. First, why did my daughter think her pjs said "hot"? Where did she get that idea? And, two, how bad are the teenage years going to be if my two year old daughter already wants to wear shirts that say "hot" across her chest? Hmmm....yikes!

No comments: