Monday, April 27, 2009

Remembering Easter

S and her daddy had a big time looking in her eggs at the egg hunt...wonder who ate more out of them?C had every egg opened before we got to him...not eating the candy...just checking out the toys inside. My children are so different...But, they both had a great time with their friends at our annual Sunday school Easter egg hunt. Our family after the eggs had been found, the candy devoured, and the toys explored...This was our after church Easter picture. We had a wonderful lunch at Uncle Tanner and our new Aunt Caroline's house. They outdid themselves on a feast for Easter lunch. Living away from all of our family, we were determined to spend Easter lunch together, the 6 of us. We are so thankful for them living in town so we can see them more often.

During this Easter season, we are so very grateful for all Jesus sacrificed for us. Keeping Him the center of this time of year is so important to me, but so difficult sometimes with my children. With all the egg hunts, the Easter bunny, and talk of "Spring" things, Jesus seems to be an afterthought in society's view of this holiday. But, I am determined! I don't just want a healthy balance at Easter - I want the focus on Jesus. We did the Easter story cookies this year...where each ingredient represents a part of Jesus's death and resurrection. It went well with the kids. But, the cookies flopped - oh well - we got the chance to go through the story with them...that is what is most important. We also did the Resurrection Eggs - which are amazing - highly recommend them!! My children hang onto every word of the horrible/wonderful story of Jesus' last days. The more I can tell them of His gift for us...the more they understand what He did for us...the less all that bunny stuff matters. So, we enjoy the egg hunts and bunnies. But, we also talk about why they are nothing compared to what Easter is all about. But, am I showing them enough....not just telling them? Any other ideas on keeping the focus where it belongs - on Him?

So, as I am remembering our Easter 2009...(a few weeks later)...I am more than ever challenged to talk with my children about Jesus' life and death. I know they cannot grasp all the details just yet...but they can feel the importance of His sacrifice through how I respond to it...they can sense His love for us as we talk about His gift...they can know without a shadow of a doubt that He is more important than any ole egg full of candy because He stays with us all year through...not just on a pretty day in April when we take the time to retell the story of His death/life. I am more challenged than ever to show what is priority in this life...and tell them His story all year long.

No comments: