On our way to a friend's house for dinner...without daddy due to a late night at his office...knowing there would be 7 children there age 5 and under...I began my usual "remember, guys" list as we pulled onto the friend's street - you know the list: no running or screaming in the house, use your manners, don't forget to pick up the toys...well, when I finished the 4-5 reminders...my backseat princess calmly yet confidently proclaimed, "I just a kid, mommy." Now...what do you say to that? hmmm?
I have a hard time sometimes drawing the line. You know the line, right? I am not just imagining it, surely. Is he just being a five year old? Or, was that direct defiance? Or, did he just forget in his childish excitement? Or, did he mean to do that to see what I would do? Is that grounds for a talk/time out/spank or for grace to be given? The line is very hazy at times for me. I do not want to crush my children's spirit...but, that "will" sometimes needs a little patting down. I do not want miniature adults. I want fun-loving, ready to explore kiddos. I just want ones that say thank you and ask to be excused after dinner. I guess we have to take it as it comes - day by day, moment by moment, situation by situation. Everything is a learning experience - for us them and me. I pray my children know I want what is best for them. I tell them all the time how God holds me responsible to teach them to obey, to listen, to be considerate, and so on. I also pray that God reveals to me when I am too hard on them, expecting things from them that is beyond a 5 and 2 year old...expecting them to fulfill my dreams for them...instead of God's plans for them. I pray when I do give them grace rather than punishment that they see the greater picture of our Lord - how He bathes us in His grace daily - keeping us from the punishments we so very much deserve.
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment